POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : Re: Eternally descending (and rotating) ~828 Kb : Re: Eternally descending (and rotating) ~828 Kb Server Time
20 Jul 2024 07:21:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Eternally descending (and rotating) ~828 Kb
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 3 Jul 2001 07:19:21
Message: <3b41aa39@news.povray.org>
In article <3b417f2a$1@news.povray.org> , "Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk>
wrote:
> Umm, no.

Well, you didn't read the message I responded to:

In article <MPG.15a7129d437b303498997e@news.povray.org> , Jamie Davison
<jam### [at] ntlworldcom>  wrote:
> I'm not blaming you in particular, it's just that there have been a few
> .mov files posted here recently, none of which I've been able to view.
  ^^^^^^^^^^

- .mov is the file extension of QuickTime file on Windows, and the files
posted were QuickTime.  Obviously QuickTime can play QuickTime movies...

wrote:
> Umm, no. I think the problem is that if you install QT on WinX it takes over
> all file associations - even (and here's the rub) ones it can't actually play.
> It also doesn't offer any options for recovering associations. Basically, this
> one is down to Apple and QT.

As for changing extensions back if you don't like them, on the Win ME system
next door I have no problems changing any file associations manually.

As for QuickTime, I have never seen it take any associations it couldn't
display on Windows 9x or NT 4 (can't talk about any other or the general
problem of three letter file extensions).

     Thorsten

PS: Take a look at the crimes committed by M$ (upheld by the appeals court).
One of them is that Microsoft _added code_ to Windows that sabotages
QuickTime and displays a _false_ dialog that QuickTime can't play files it
can actually play :-(

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde